I received my Ph.D. from Boston College, the Sociology Department, specializing in social movements and media studies, as well as in theories of conflict and conflict resolution. This combination supplemented former focus on social movements and international ethnic conflicts during my Master studies at the Political Science and the International Relation Departments at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
I live in Israel at present. I am an assistant professor at the department of political science, the Hebrew University, where I teach courses on social movements and the media, the politics of contention in Israel, the role of media during post-settlement peace building, and terrorism. I also act as methodological advisor for graduate students in the Communication Studies Department at Ben-Gurion University.
Present research focuses on post-settlement mutual media images between Israel and Jordan before and during the “second” Intifada, and a joint comparative Israeli-German project on shaping media frames on critical issues. Intended research will deal with empowering peace constituencies, analyzing the influence of grassroots Israeli-Palestinian organization on Israeli public and media discourse.
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (forthcoming) “Re-contextualizing Political Terrorism – A Collective Action Perspective for Knowing the “Unwanted Child.” In Terrorism and the Liberal State: Theoretical, Legal and Practical Dimensions, Samuel Peleg and Wilhelm Kempf, eds. Amsterdam, NL: IOS Press.
- Eitan Y. Alimi (2006) Israeli Politics and the Palestinian Intifada: Political Opportunities, Framing Processes, and Contentious Politics. London and New York: Routledge Studies in Middle East Politics
- Ezrachi, Y., Kremnitzer, M., Choen, M., and Alimi, E. (2001) Israel: Toward a Constitutive Democracy. Jerusalem, Israel Democracy Institute Press
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (forthcoming) "Discursive Contention: Palestinian Media Discourse and the Inception of the "First" Intifada", Harvard International Journal of Press and Politics
- Wolfsfeld, Gadi, Eitan Y. Alimi, and Wasfi Kailani. (forthcoming) "News Media and Peace Building in Asymmetrical Conflicts: The Flow of News between Jordan and Israel", Political Studies
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (2007) "Israeli Sociopolitical Arena and Palestinian Politics of Contention," The British Journal of Political Science, 37(3): 433-453
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (2007) "The Dialectic of Opportunities and Threats and Temporality of Contention," International Political Science Review, 28(1): 101-123
- Alimi, Eitan Y., William, A. Gamson, and Charlotte Ryan, (2006) "Knowing Your Adversary: Israeli Structure of Political Opportunities and the Inception of the Palestinian Intifada," Sociological Forum, 21(4): 535-557
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (forthcoming 2006) "The Intifada and Israeli Society - Strategies, Opportunities, and Contentious Tactics," State and Society, 6(1): 157-185
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (2006) "Constructing Political Opportunity - 1987: The Palestinian Year of Discontent," Mobilization: The International Quarterly Review of Social Movement Research, 11(1): 67-80
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (2006) "Contextualizing Political Terrorism: A Collective Action Perspective for Understanding the Tanzim," Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, 29(3): 263-283
- Eitan Y. Alimi, and Samuel Peleg. (2005) "A Palestinian State - Yes or No? Constructing Political Discourse in the Israeli Print Media - An Experimental Design," Conflict & Communication Online, 4(2)
- Alimi, Eitan Y. (2003) “The Effects of Opportunity on Insurgencies.” Terrorism and Political Violence 15/3